Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday in May

Good Monday Morning to you all! I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day. I did. I was with all my kids and grand kids, husband and mother. Couldn't ask for more!

It is damp and humid in East Texas today, threatening to rain. I hoped to get work done in my roses this week. All the dampness has brought on a bad round of black spot for roses in my area. Symptoms: At first, lower leaves of susceptible plants become covered with brownish-black spots; eventually the leaves yellow and drop off. A severe infestation can completely defoliate a plant over a period of weeks. Disease spores are spread by rain and watering. Black spot spreads quickly in wet or humid, warm weather. Solutions: Avoid wetting foliage. Prune plant to allow good air circulation among branches. At the first sign of disease, remove infected leaves and begin spraying a sulfur-based fungicide. Clean up any dead leaves from the base of plants (don’t compost dead or diseased leaves), especially in fall. A friend with beautiful roses told me to use Dormant on them. Anyone familiar? I hope to find it, try it, and let you know.


Back to the vegetable garden. All my "crops" are planted now. Just have to wait, water and weed! It is not too late to plant okra, watermelon and cantaloupe in East Texas, to name a few. I wouldn't hesitate to try squash seed either. It grows so fast in the Texas sun, it will catch up in no time. Anything as a transplant is probably okay too, such as tomatoes and peppers.



Peppers are so easy! They are like planting tomatoes, only easier. They don't get as leggy and big as tomatoes so they will look fine in a flower garden if you are so inclined. They need sun, but won't object to a little shade in the afternoon. Peppers come in so many varieties! My problem is deciding. I don't have room for all of them. My California Wonder bell pepper plant has tiny little green peppers now, and some of my tomato plants have tiny green tomatoes! I also planted sweet banana peppers, red bell peppers and one jalapeno pepper plant. It won't be long before we are picking and eating the fruits of our labors.

Have a great Monday and a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment